Do Betta Fish Need Best Food Every day?

Bettas are known for their beautiful colors, but there’s a lot more to keep them happy than just providing a nice home and regular water changes. Bettas need the right food to stay healthy, grow and develop their best colors, so finding the right betta fish food is essential. As active hunters that feed on smaller fish and insects in their natural habitat, bettas require frequent small meals throughout the day. However, as they are labyrinth fish that can breathe atmospheric air if necessary, this doesn’t mean they need different foods at different times of day like other best betta food species. Most betta enthusiasts recommend feeding them once in the morning and once again before bedtime. Still, what do betta fish need for the best food?

What to Look for in Good Betta Food

Betta fish are carnivores, so they need a diet that is high in protein, low in carbohydrates and rich in nutrients. For example, bettas are prone to developing swim bladder disease (SDB), which can cause them to float at the surface of the water. SDB is thought to be caused by a lack of essential fatty acids such as Omega 3 and 6, so it’s important to feed your bettas foods rich in these. You should also ensure the food you feed your bettas is free from filler, artificial coloring and other harmful ingredients.

Ingredients for Best Food for Bettas

Bettas need a diet that’s rich in protein, low in carbohydrates and omega-rich. You should feed your bettas foods that are 70% protein-based, with the remaining 30% coming from other nutrients such as fats, carbohydrates and fiber. When it comes to protein, fish is the best option for your bettas, as it contains all the essential amino acids they need. Other protein-rich foods to look out for include shrimp, red worms, crickets and blood worms. In addition to protein, bettas also require essential fatty acids such as Omega 3, 6 and 9. These can be found in many plant and fish oils, including flaxseed, algae, salmon oil and herring.

What is the Best Food for Bettas?

Many foods are suitable for feeding bettas. However, since they are such finicky eaters, it can be tricky to find the right one. The best food for bettas is one that is high in protein and low in carbohydrates. You can also try feeding them small amounts of other foods, including live worms, bloodworms, brine shrimp, mosquito larvae and small crickets.

– Pellet Food – Pellet food is a great option for feeding bettas, as it’s easy to digest and packed with essential nutrients. Look for a product with high protein content, such as Repashy Supergrow Betta Pellet, as this will give your bettas all the nutrients they need. Pellet foods can be fed to bettas throughout the day, as they are a great source of energy.

– Flakes Food – Flakes are another great option for feeding your bettas. While they don’t have as high a protein content as pellets, they are still rich in amino acids, which are essential to your bettas’ health. However, flakes are also low in fat, which is why bettas are known to eat a lot of them. This can lead to your bettas being undernourished, so be sure to mix them with other high-protein foods to avoid this.

– Worms – Worms make for excellent food for bettas. Not only are they high in protein, but they are also easily digestible, which means your bettas will get all the nutrients they need from them. Plus, worms are easy and cheap to source, making them a great choice for any betta owner. However, worms should not be used as a sole source of protein, but instead as a complement to other betta foods.

Other Foods to Try

– Fruit – While it may not sound like an obvious betta food, many owners feed their bettas a few pieces of fruit each day. Some popular choices for feeding your bettas include apples, oranges and kiwis.

– Vegetables – Bettas love vegetables. Some popular choices include zucchini, squash, carrots and peas. – You can also add some variety to your betta’s diet by feeding them some oats, brown rice, quinoa and sprouted beans, which are all high in protein and low in fat.

– You should avoid feeding your bettas foods such as broccoli, spinach and other leafy greens, as they are high in oxalic acid, which can build up in bettas’ bloodstream and cause health issues.


Bettas are active predators that thrive on a high-protein diet that is low in fat and carbohydrates. While many foods make good betta food, pellets, worms and flakes are some of the best options. Remember that you should choose your betta food carefully, as it can make a big difference to both your betta’s health and its colors.


Latest Posts