An effective website plays an important role in the world of business. Your website is part of your digital identity and helps you reach out to customers. There are millions of websites and if your website has to be noticed, it needs to be well-designed. While creating a website, there are certain things you need to keep in mind.
We present the dos and don’ts of website design. These guidelines tell you what to do while designing a website and also what not to do. The information given here can be used when you create your website.
Dos of Website Design
1) Ensure consistency
The user interface of your website must be consistent. The same look and feel need to be on all web pages. This will help in creating a positive impact and ensuring a better user experience. If each web page looks different, it can look confusing.
2) Quality content
Ensure the content you provide is top-quality. This is essential since the content is more important than graphics and other design elements. The content should be unique, useful, informative, and offer value to readers. Keep updating your content and add new content, so readers are motivated to come back to your website.
3) Focus on the layout
A well-designed layout makes your website visually appealing. Ensure there is sufficient white space, so the website does not appear cluttered. Use visual content to attract users. Arrange the text with a clear headline and blocks of text. Short paragraphs, small sentences, and the use of bullet points ensure a better presentation.
4) Easy-to-use navigation
Users should find it easy to navigate your website and find what they are looking for. Have minimum options on your menu and keep the design simple. Let the labels be clear and in large font, so people know where to click. Ensure the navigation options are present at the top of the page and the bottom. For the best user experience, keep the 3-click rule in mind. It should take no more than 3 clicks for users to find whatever they are looking for.
5) Use responsive design
Nearly 3/4th of all website visitors come from mobile phones and tablets. You must ensure your website looks the same on all devices as it does on a laptop/PC. For this, it is important to use responsive design. It would ensure the website responds depending on the device used. It is a critical factor to keep in mind while designing a website.
6) Check things thoroughly
Before your website goes live, do a thorough check. You need to check if all design elements are looking fine. Check if the content looks fine on all types of devices. Check if all the links are working, especially external links. Find out if images are loading properly and if videos play. If possible, test your design by showing it to a few users. This will help you find out if your design is effective.
Don’ts of Website Design
- Don’t use too many fonts on the website. Use a maximum of 3 fonts.
- Don’t fill the page with too much content, as it can be overwhelming.
- Don’t make the user wait for too much time for a page to load. Optimize images, so webpages load faster.
- Don’t ever copy content from other sources. You can be penalized by Google for this.
- Don’t forget to proof check content, so there are no mistakes.
- Don’t complicate your design. Whether it is layout, graphics, or content keep it simple.
- Don’t force the user to click too much. Remember that users prefer to scroll the page rather than click to move ahead.
- Don’t stuff keywords into your content. It ruins the user experience and also can be flagged by Google.
- Don’t use too many colors or too bright colors. It can put off visitors.
- Don’t use too many images. When you use stock images, ensure you have the license/permission to use them.
- Don’t use automatic popups as they can be irritating. If you have to use it, use it when the user reaches the end of the page.
- Don’t play music or videos automatically. It can be extremely irritating, especially if people are browsing your site at work or in a public place.
- Don’t use horizontal scrolling as it can lead to content on the right side being missed out.
- Don’t forget to brand your website by using branding elements like name, logo, brand colors, etc.
- Don’t forget to add a CTA or call to action. Ensure it is clearly visible with an attractive button and a clear label.
Ace your website design with these tips and build a website that your customers love to visit.