The michelada is a tangy and delightful beer cocktail that has been a favorite in Central and South America for decades but is only recently starting to gain popularity in the United States. If you have heard of the delicious combination of tangy citrus and spices, but never sampled a michelada you may get confused by what you find when you do a simple search of the web. There are a multitude of recipes that you can make from scratch as well as several options for mix that are continuously increasing. But if you’ve never tried a michelada (or even if you’re already a fan) you may wonder whether mix or scratch is right for you.
Buy a michelada mix or use a recipe?
Buying a michelada mix can be a quick and easy option if you want to save time and effort. These mixes typically contain all the necessary ingredients, such as tomato juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and spices. You can simply add beer and ice, and you have a ready-to-drink michelada.
However, making your own michelada from scratch can give you more control over the flavors and allow you to adjust the ingredients to your liking. You can experiment with different combinations of tomato juice, hot sauce, lime juice, spices, and other ingredients to create your own unique recipe. This option can be more time-consuming, but it can also be a fun and rewarding experience.
If you’re new to making micheladas and aren’t sure which option to choose, you might want to start with a store-bought mix to get a sense of the flavors and ingredients before trying to make your own from scratch. Ultimately, the choice is up to you and what you feel most comfortable with.
Here are the general steps for using a michelada mix from a bottle:
- Chill the beer: Before you begin, make sure your beer is chilled. Micheladas are typically made with light beer, such as Mexican lager or pilsner.
- Rim your glass: Take a small plate and pour some salt or Tajin seasoning onto it. Take a lime wedge and rub it around the rim of your glass. Dip the rim into the salt or Tajin, making sure the entire rim is coated.
- Pour the mix: Shake the michelada mix bottle well to ensure that the ingredients are mixed properly. Pour the mix into your glass. The amount will depend on the size of your glass, but generally, you will need about 4-6 ounces of michelada mix.
- Add ice: Add a few ice cubes to the glass.
- Pour the beer: Pour the chilled beer into the glass, filling it up to the top.
- Stir and enjoy: Use a spoon or straw to stir the mixture, making sure everything is well combined. Squeeze a lime wedge into the glass for extra flavor, and enjoy your michelada!
Note: Some michelada mixes may have slightly different instructions, so be sure to check the label for any specific instructions.
Whichever option you choose to go with, you can be sure that the complex flavors of a michelada mix combined with the refreshing taste of your favorite beer are a winning combination. Try it out, you may find that you have found your new beverage of choice.